Schools and Libraries (E-Rate)

FY2018 Application Filing Window Closes at 11:59 PM EDT March 22






Before You're Done

Updated July 2017


There are a number of actions that may be desired or required outside of the regular application process. The list below provides information on these actions.



  • To change the Service Start Date or contract expiration date on a funding request, you can file an FCC Form 500 (Funding Commitment Adjustment Request Form).
  • You can also file an FCC Form 500 to reduce or cancel funding on a funding request. NOTE: Starting with FY2015, if your request a reduction in the commitment amount on a funding request for Category Two Services, you must also provide details on the appropriate reductions in the amounts allocated to the Category Two budgets of the individual entities featured on your application.
  • Change the Service Provider Identification Number (SPIN), on a funding request. This number is also known as the service provider’s 498 ID.
    • If the SPIN needs to be changed because of a data entry error, you can request a corrective SPIN change.
    • If the SPIN has changed due to a service provider merger or acquisition, and the change affects all funding requests that feature that SPIN, your service provider can request a SPIN change.
    • If you need to change the actual service provider on a funding request, you can request an operational SPIN change.
  • Request a service substitution if you want to substitute a product or service for another that provides the same or similar function.
  • If one or more schools or libraries are opening, closing, merging, or separating, call USAC at (888) 203-8100 to provide the information specific to your situation so we can help you make any necessary changes.

Deadline Extensions

  • To extend the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services, request a service delivery extension. Generally, the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services is September 30 following the close of the funding year, and under some circumstances this deadline is extended automatically.
  • To extend the deadline for submitting invoices, request an invoice deadline extension.


  • If you disagree with a USAC decision, you can file an appeal with USAC or with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
  • If a BEAR Form has been rejected or payment has been reduced because you have made an error, you can simply submit a new BEAR Form with the error corrected. If the rejection or reduction occurred for some other reason, you can file an appeal with USAC or with the FCC.
  • If a school or library facility is temporarily or permanently closing, you can transfer equipment from that facility to another eligible entity. If it has been less than three years since the equipment was purchased, you must notify USAC of the transfer.
  • You can dispose of or trade-in obsolete equipment but no sooner than five years after the date the equipment was installed. You do not need to notify USAC, but you should update your inventory or asset register.