Submit Data in the HUBB
The HUBB Portal
USAC closely monitors compliance with broadband build-out obligations to ensure that carriers receiving Connect America Fund (CAF) support are deploying broadband in rural America as required. Carriers participating in modernized funds must file deployment data with the High Cost Universal Broadband portal, or HUBB, showing where they are building out mass-market, high-speed Internet service using CAF support. This information includes latitude and longitude coordinates for every location where service is available.
The HUBB conducts automated, real-time validation checks of the deployment data submitted by the carriers. The system validates, for instance, that a location’s latitude and longitude coordinates fall within an area eligible for funding and that the location is not a duplicate of one that has already been filed. The HUBB also calculates carrier progress toward meeting broadband build-out obligations, including interim deployment milestones.
The HUBB is the foundation for the Connect America Fund (CAF) Map, which shows the impact of CAF support on broadband expansion in rural America. In addition, the HUBB serves as a starting point for a more in-depth verification process to confirm deployment to a random sample of locations reported in the system. All carriers participating in CAF programs with defined broadband build-out obligations are subject to this verification process, with verification reviews tied to annual deployment milestones. The HUBB is also a starting point for the Performance Measures compliance framework, which ensures that broadband service subsidized by the Connect America Fund meets basic speed and latency performance standards so that people living in rural communities have access to the same high-quality networks as those living in urban areas.
HUBB Filing Deadlines
Carriers participating in the following funds have until March 1, 2021 to file data for all locations deployed with CAF support in 2020 or certify that they have “no locations to upload”:
- Connect America Fund (CAF) Phase II Model
- CAF II Model carriers must meet their total build-out obligations by end of 2020 in each state where they receive support. (100 percent milestone)
- Alternative Connect America Cost Model (Original A-CAM) and Revised ACAM
- Original and Revised ACAM carriers face their first deployment milestone in 2020 and must deploy broadband at speeds of at least 10 megabits per second downstream and 1 megabit per second upstream (10/1 Mbps) by the end of the year to a number of eligible locations equal at least 40 percent of the number of locations fully funded under the Original ACAM program. Fully funded locations are locations for which the carrier receives support for the full cost of build out. (40 percent 10/1 Mbps milestone)
- ACAM II
- ACAM II carriers have until March 1, 2021 to report pre-2019 broadband deployment, along with 2020 deployment.
- Connect America Fund Broadband Loop Support (CAF BLS)
- All CAF BLS carriers must file in the HUBB, including CAF BLS carriers that were exempt from HUBB reporting obligations in the past because they had already built out 10/1 Mbps broadband to at least 80 percent of their study area.
- CAF BLS carriers previously exempt from HUBB reporting have until March 1, 2021 to report pre-2019 broadband deployment at speeds of at least 25 megabits per second downstream and 3 megabit per second upstream (25/3 Mbps) completed since May 25, 2016, along with 2020 deployment.
- CAF BLS carriers that were fully deployed to all locations in their study area with 25/3 Mbps broadband before May 25, 2016, or become fully deployed, have satisfied their buildout obligation. USAC and the FCC will develop a process for these carriers to certify to full deployment. Fully deployed carriers should not attempt to record any broadband locations built prior to May 25, 2016 in the HUBB, but still need to certify “no locations to upload” for 2020.
- Rural Broadband Experiments (RBE)
- RBE Carriers face rolling deployment milestones.
- Alaska Plan (other than carriers with individualized performance plans that only require them to maintain service at existing levels)
- CAF Phase II Auction
- CAF II Auction carriers have until March 1, 2021 to report any locations deployed in 2020 or earlier.
Carriers that did not deploy any locations in 2020 must still log into the HUBB and certify “no locations to upload” by March 1, 2021.
Carriers with 2020 deployment milestones must also complete milestone certifications as part of the annual HUBB filing and will face verification reviews tied to those milestones. Carriers subject to defined deployment milestones must notify the FCC and USAC, and relevant state, U.S. Territory or Tribal governments if applicable, within 10 business days after the applicable deadline if they have failed to meet a milestone. (see 47 CFR Section 54.320(d)) Carriers that miss milestones face increased reporting obligations and potential loss of support.
Accurate geolocation data is the key to filing successfully with the HUBB. Please see the USAC Geolocations Methods Guide for an overview of different methods for collecting accurate latitude and longitude coordinates.
The HUBB portal is accessible through USAC’s E-File system. To log in, click on “HUBB” on the left-hand navigation panel. Users and agents can upload, validate, and save data. Officers can perform all of those functions as well as certify locations. Please see USAC’s Multifactor Authentication Troubleshooting Steps for help logging into E-File.
USAC will provide updates on this page, through the HUBB portal email distribution list and through other ongoing communications with stakeholders. For regular updates, please sign up for the HUBB portal email distribution list, entitled “High Cost Detailed HUBB Updates,” in the USAC’s Subscription Center.