Established by the 2018 Rate-of-Return Reform Order, the Alternative Connect America Cost Model (ACAM) II provides funding to rate-of-return carriers that voluntarily elected to transition to a new cost model for calculating High Cost support in exchange for meeting defined broadband build-out obligations. Carriers that elected this option receive predictable monthly payments based on support of up to $200 for each funded location over the program’s 10-year support term (2017-2026). (Carriers electing ACAM II support receive transition payments if their ACAM II support is less than their 2018 legacy support.) Participating carriers must meet annual deployment milestones starting in year four, 2022.
Carriers that elected ACAM II funding must meet the deployment obligations published in the Public Notice authorizing them to receive A-CAM II support. These deployment obligations are based on the following service requirements:
- Maintain existing voice and broadband service as of December 31, 2018
- Offer broadband at speeds of at least 25 Mbps downstream/3 Mbps upstream (25/3 Mbps) to a number of eligible locations equal to the number of fully funded locations (locations for which the carrier receives support for the full cost of build-out) by the end of 2028
- Offer at least 4/1 Mbps service to a number of eligible locations equal to a percentage of capped locations (locations for which the carrier receives support for only the partial cost of build-out) depending on the population density of the carrier’s service area
- For a density threshold of 10 or more locations per square mile, offer speeds of at least 4/1 Mbps to a number of eligible locations equal to at least 50 percent of capped locations by the end of 2028
- For a density threshold of fewer than 10 locations per square mile, offer speeds of at least 4/1 Mbps to a number of eligible locations equal to at least 25 percent of capped funded locations by the end of 2028
- Meet similar deployment obligations for eligible locations on Tribal lands
Carriers must offer at least one commercial voice and one commercial broadband service that meet the relevant service requirements, and must meet the following broadband deployment milestones:
- 40 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 4 (2022)
- 50 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 5 (2023)
- 60 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 6 (2024)
- 70 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 7 (2025)
- 80 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 8 (2026)
- 90 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 9 (2027)
- 100 percent of 25/3 Mbps deployments by the end of year 10 (2028)
Annual Filing Requirements
Carriers receiving Revised ACAM II support must also comply with the following filing and certification requirements annually:
- March 1: Submit geolocated broadband deployment data showing where they have built out broadband by latitude and longitude in the previous calendar year. Submit Locations in the HUBB.
- July 1:Certify financial and operational data by filing FCC Form 481 (Carrier Data Annual Collection Form). File Online
- October 1: Certify that they have used High Cost funding correctly per program rules. Most carriers are certified by their states, but carriers not subject to state jurisdiction must self-certify. Learn more.
Rate-of-Return Reform Order (FCC 18-176) – Order establishing ACAM I Revised and ACAM II and adopting new deployment obligations for rate-of-return carriers
Public Notice (DA 19-372) – Notice announcing offers of A-CAM II support
Public Notice (DA 19-504) – Notice announcing corrected A-CAM II offers and the extension of the A-CAM II election deadline
Public Notice (DA 19-650) – Notice announcing guidance regarding Alternative Connect America Model (ACAM) deployment obligations
Public Notice (DA 19-808) – Notice authorizing 171 Rate of Return carriers to receive A-CAM II support.