How to Claim Reimbursement
The Lifeline Claims System (LCS) is the online filing system that service providers use to submit claims for reimbursement.
LCS was introduced in 2018 as a replacement for FCC Form 497.
Previously providers would use FCC Form 497 to submit claims. This form is still accepted for downward revisions for December 2017 data months and earlier.
- 2018 Data Months and Later
- 2017 Data Months and Earlier
- Subscribers Eligible for Reimbursement
- Payment Process and Status
2018 Data Months and Later
All claims must be submitted using LCS. FCC Form 497 is not applicable for data months in 2018 and onward.
To file a claim, a service provider will:
- Access LCS and download the list of subscribers eligible for reimbursement,
- The list is a report in LCS based on the National Lifeline Accountability Database (NLAD) “Subscriber Snapshot” report.
- For service providers in NLAD opt-out states (CA, OR, TX), beginning with the December 2020 data month, this list will be based on information provided by the state public utility commission (PUC).
- Modify the appropriate data on the list as needed,
- Add the dollar amount claimed for each subscriber on the report (the system automatically defaults to the value from the prior month for all states except NLAD opt-out states).
- Indicate which subscribers are not claimed and why (see the table of reason codes below).
- Upload the report back in LCS,
- Set the claim as “ready to certify,” and
- Certify the submission (497 Officer must complete this step).
Reason Codes for Omitting a Consumer from Claim
|U1||Signed up for Lifeline, no usage yet|
|U2||Subscriber is in a non-usage cure period (snapshot date falls within the 15-day cure period)|
|U3||Subscriber lost eligibility but was not de-enrolled prior to snapshot|
|U4||Subscriber’s account is suspended|
|U5||Failed to match subscriber in ETC’s internal system|
2017 Data Months and Earlier
For the December 2017 data month (January 1, 2018 snapshot) and earlier, service providers should continue to use FCC Form 497 to submit downward revisions. Prior year FCC Form 497 versions are available on the Prior Year Forms page.
Revisions must be submitted by mail, email, or fax to:
Universal Service Administrative Company
700 12th Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
Fax Number: (866) 873-4665
Subscribers Eligible for Reimbursement
Service providers can only claim reimbursement for the total number of subscribers entered in the NLAD on the data month’s snapshot date. This is the first day of the following month.
A service provider can claim fewer subscribers than listed on the snapshot but not more.
If a service provider failed to include all of their Lifeline subscribers in NLAD before the snapshot date, the service provider cannot retroactively add the subscribers to NLAD for reimbursement purposes.
For this reason, service providers must keep NLAD up to date.
To claim the enhanced Tribal benefit, the subscriber’s “Lifeline Tribal Benefit” field in NLAD must be selected as “Yes” (in the NLAD Detail Active Subscriber Report, the column must be marked as “1”).
NLAD Opt-Out States
Beginning with the December 2020 data month (February 1, 2021 snapshot), service providers in NLAD opt-out states can only claim subscribers listed on the file in LCS provided by their state PUC.
Payment Process and Status
Lifeline program support is paid each month based on the service provider’s actual reimbursement claim.
Service providers that file certified reimbursement claims by the eighth day of the month can receive payment for the claim at the end of the same month. Service providers that file after the eighth day of the month will receive payment the following month.
If you have questions about late payments, the Red Light rule, or the Debt Collection Improvement Act, visit the Service Provider section of our website. If you have questions regarding the status of a disbursement, a remittance statement, or an invoice received, email email@example.com.