Before You’re Done

There are a number of actions that may be required outside of the regular application process. The list below provides information on these actions.


  • To submit corrections to an FCC Form 470, follow the instructions in your FCC Form 470 Receipt Notification Letter (RNL).
  • To submit corrections to an FCC Form 471, follow the instructions in your FCC Form 471 Receipt Acknowledgment Letter (RAL).  Please view the FCC Form 471 Receipt Acknowledgment Letter Modification Guide for more information.
  • Update your contact information in the E-Rate Productivity Center (EPC) to ensure that the correct information is listed for forms filed in EPC.
  • If program rules have been violated, USAC may be required to reduce the amount of a funding request. This is known as a commitment adjustment (COMAD), which may include the recovery of improperly disbursed funds (RIDF). If funds have been disbursed in error, you must return those funds to USAC.


  • To change the service start date or contract expiration date on a funding request, you can file an FCC Form 500 (Funding Commitment Adjustment Request Form).
  • You can also file an FCC Form 500 to reduce or cancel funding on a funding request.
  • Starting with Funding Year (FY) 2015, if you request a reduction in the commitment amount on a funding request for Category Two Services, you must also provide details on the appropriate reductions in the amounts allocated to the Category Two budgets of the individual entities featured on the funding request.
  • Change the Service Provider Identification Number (SPIN) on a funding request. This number is also known as the service provider’s 498 ID.
    • If the SPIN needs to be changed because of a data entry error, you can request a corrective SPIN change.
    • If the SPIN has changed due to a service provider merger or acquisition, and the change affects all funding requests that feature that SPIN, your service provider can request a global SPIN change. If the change affects only some funding requests, the individual applicants must request this change themselves.
    • If you need to change the actual service provider on a funding request, you can with certain limitations, request an operational SPIN change.
  • Request a service substitution if you want to substitute a product or service for another that provides the same or similar function. The costs of the substituted products or services cannot be higher than the amount that was approved on the FCC Form 471.
  • If one or more schools or libraries are opening, closing, merging, or separating, call USAC at (888) 203-8100 to provide the information specific to your situation so we can help you make any necessary changes.

Deadline Extensions

  • To extend the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services, request a service delivery extension. Generally, the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services is September 30 following the close of the funding year. Under certain circumstances, this deadline is extended automatically.
  • To extend the deadline for submitting invoices, request an invoice deadline extension.

Other Actions

  • If you disagree with a USAC decision, you can submit an appeal to USAC. If you disagree with USAC’s decision on your appeal, you can submit an appeal to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
  • If a BEAR Form has been rejected or payment has been reduced because you have made an error, you can simply submit a new BEAR Form with the error corrected. If the rejection or reduction occurred for some other reason, you must file an appeal with USAC.
  • If a school or library facility is temporarily or permanently closing, you can transfer equipment from that facility to another eligible entity. If it has been less than three years since the equipment was purchased, you must notify USAC of the transfer.
  • You can dispose of or trade-in obsolete equipment beginning five years after the date the equipment was installed. You do not need to notify USAC, but you should update your inventory or asset register for Schools and Libraries (E-rate) program funded products.