USAC understands that some of the information requested during application review could be considered to be proprietary or sensitive commercial and financial information. Certain information is already protected from public disclosure as trade secrets and commercial or financial information under the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) rules at 47 C.F.R. § 0.457(d). If you believe this rule does not provide adequate protection, you may request that information and documentation provided be protected from public disclosure or inspection through 47 C.F.R. § 0.459. Parties requesting confidential treatment under 47 C.F.R. § 0.459 should submit a letter outlining the reasons for why the information should be withheld from public inspection. The request should include the following:
- A statement of the reasons for withholding the information from public inspection;
- Identification of the specific information for which confidential treatment is sought;
- Explanation of the degree to which the information is commercial or financial, or contains trade secrets or is privileged;
- Explanation for how disclosure of the information could result in competitive harm;
- Identification of any measures the party has taken to prevent unauthorized disclosure;
- Identification of whether the information is already available to the public and the extent of any previous disclosure;
- Justification for the period of time the party asserts the information should not be available for public inspection; and
- Any other information that the party believes may be useful in assessing whether its request for confidentiality should be granted.
How to Request Confidentiality
Prepare a letter with the information referenced above. (Include an email address with your request to receive confirmation of receipt.)
This letter and the requested documentation can be sent to USAC via:
- Email: SLD_Submissions@usac.org
- Mail: Universal Service Administrative Co.
Attn: Schools and Libraries (E-Rate) program
700 12th Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005
- E-Rate Productivity Center (EPC):
- Log in to One Portal to access EPC.
- Select the Contact Us link from the upper right menu on your landing page to create a customer service case.
- Label the topic of your customer case as such, “Confidential Responses – FRN <Enter FRN>.”
Upon receipt of the request and documents, the party will receive confirmation of receipt via email from E-Rate program staff.
The confidentiality request will be saved with the requested information and documentation. USAC would inform the FCC that a confidentiality request under section 0.459 was submitted in the event that the FCC requests this information.