Step 5: Invoice USAC
USAC Invoice Payment Cycle (HCF and Telecom Programs) for Service Providers
USAC pays invoices to service providers in batches. Batches are paid on the 6th and the 21st of each month (except weekends and holidays, where the payment batch date would fall on the next business day). Invoices that USAC approves are typically processed in the upcoming payment batch. Service providers can expect the payment from the approved invoice (FCC Form 463 or Telecom Program Invoice) to arrive in their bank accounts three (3) business days after the payment batch date.
HCF Program Invoicing
In the HCF Program, invoicing is a joint process between you and the HCP using the FCC Form 463 (Invoice and Request for Disbursement Form).
Invoicing Prior to FY2022
Once an HCP receives a bill, it can create an invoice for the services received using the FCC Form 463. The HCP must certify that the form is accurate and that they or another eligible source have paid the minimum 35 percent contribution. Next, the HCP sends the FCC Form 463 to you for approval through My Portal. You will review the FCC Form 463 and certify its accuracy, then submit the form to USAC. Once USAC receives the FCC Form 463, it processes the form and, if approved, distributes funds to you, the service provider. As a reminder, please be sure to respond to any invoicing Information Requests by the 14-calendar day deadline listed in the email.
Invoicing for FY2022 and Forward
For FY2022, the FCC Form 463 will be submitted in RHC Connect. As you submit the FCC Form 463, please keep in mind that the General Contact on the FCC Form 498 is the only user for the company who can create additional logins for other users in that company.
If you are having trouble accessing RHC Connect, it may be a result of outdated information on the FCC Form 498 (Service Provider and Billed Entity Identification Number and General Contact Information Form). To correct the issue, please update your FCC Form 498 as soon as possible. For more information, please visit the Manage Your 498 ID webpage on the USAC website.
Here are the steps the General Contact should take to add users:
- All users must be created in E-File before they are added as a user in RHC Connect.
- Once the user is created, log into E-File and select Rural Healthcare.
- Select RHC Connect, the third hyperlink under Rural Healthcare.
- Add or update users by going to the My SPINs
- Choose the SPIN and click on the Manage Users icon under the Actions
- Select the button to Create New User or Update User, then click next.
- Enter the information about the new user or updated information for an existing RHC Connect user.
- Select any or all of the SPINs listed and click Add SPIN under the list.
- Once the selected SPINs have moved to the Selected SPINs column, click
- Confirm the information entered is correct, then click Save.
FY2020 and Forward
Effective FY2020, the invoicing deadline will be four months (120 days) from the service delivery deadline or the date of a revised FCL approving a post-commitment request or a successful appeal of a previously denied or reduced funding request, whichever comes later. The service delivery deadline for recurring and non-recurring services is June 30 of the funding year for which the program support is sought.
This invoicing deadline is included in the funding commitment letter (FCL), which USAC sends via email after approving the FCC Form 462 (Funding Request Form). Remember, this deadline refers to the date by which the FCC Form 463 must be approved, signed, and certified by both you and the HCP, and submitted to USAC. This means that you and your HCP must allow plenty of time in advance of the invoicing deadline to review the form, check for and resolve any errors, certify and sign the form, and then submit to USAC.
Once your invoicing deadline passes, you and your HCP will be unable to create a FCC Form 463 in My Portal.
FY2019 and Prior Years
For FY2019 and prior years, the FCC Form 463 is due to USAC no later than six (6) months from the funding commitment end date. This invoicing deadline is included in the funding commitment letter (FCL), which USAC sends via email after approving the FCC Form 462 (Funding Request Form). If you have an FY2019 or prior year FRN, it’s invoicing deadline might have been affected by one of the following FCC Orders
- FCC Order FCC Order DA 20-345: Grants applicants a 180-day extension of the invoice filing deadline for FY2019 funding requests.
- DA 20-1092: On September 16, 2020, the FCC released Order DA 20-1092 to provide relief to applicants and service providers who received funding year (FY) 2019 funding commitment letters (FCLs) after or within 180 days of the invoice filing deadline. The Order allows these entities to submit invoices to USAC within 180 days from the later of the release date of this Order or the issuance of an FCL by USAC.
- The Order includes an appendix identifying applicants that USAC already knows fall into this waiver category. These, plus any other applicants and service providers subsequently identified by USAC that fall into this category, may benefit from this waiver.
- Applicants and service providers who miss invoice deadlines that fall within these parameters do not need to submit individual requests for a waiver.
Invoicing Deadline Lookup
Use the Invoicing Deadline Tool to look up your invoicing deadline. The tool contains all FRNs with future invoicing deadlines as well as all FRNs that are less than 6 months past their expiration.
This tool only allows you to identify your commitment’s invoicing deadline; it does not reflect form submissions, payment status, or funds remaining. To answer questions on remaining funding, log into My Portal or email the RHC Customer Service Center.
Telecom Program Invoicing
After receiving the FCC Form 467, USAC sends an HCP support schedule (HSS) to you and the HCP. The HSS provides a detailed report of the approved service(s) and support information for you and the HCP Once you receive and review the HCP Support Schedule (HSS), you must credit the HCP’s account in the next billing cycle, and then log in to My Portal and submit an online invoice to USAC. After you submit the online invoice, USAC will process it within 24 hours. As a reminder, please be sure to respond to any invoicing Information Requests by the 14-calendar day deadline listed in the email.
HCP Support Schedule (HSS) Contents
You will use the HSS to determine how much credit the HCP will receive each month. Credit the support to the Billing Account Number shown on the HSS. A sample support schedule is available for download. The HSS includes the following information:
- Funding year;
- HCP number;
- Billing Account Number (BAN);
- HCP name;
- 498 ID and service provider name;
- Supported service;
- Support start date;
- Support end date; and
- Support amount: per month ($) and total support for the funding year.
When You Receive the HSS
USAC sends the HSS to you and the HCP after processing the FCC Form 467. Once you receive the HSS, review it to ensure the following:
- The 498 ID is correct;
- The service being supported was actually working and being billed for the time period on the HSS; and
- The BAN listed on the schedule is the same BAN attached to the service and HCP location or HCP mailing organization and address
If there is an error or you have any questions about the information on the HSS, contact the RHC Customer Service Center (before you apply program discounts).
Once you have reviewed the HSS, you can begin applying the approved discounts to the HCP during the next billing cycle. The entity that receives the bill and pays for the service is the “billed entity.”
You may provide credit to the billed entity in one of two ways:
- Send a check to the billed entity using the BAN in the HSS, or
- Provide a credit on the bill of the billed entity using the BAN in the HSS.
Provide Support Credit on a Bill
The credited amount should equal the support amount on the HSS for the BAN except the first month’s credit, which should equal the support amount for the current month plus all previous months on the schedule (retroactive support).
- If the HSS indicates that an HCP should receive $100 per month for 12 full months of the Funding Year (July – June), and the HCP receives the HSS in February after the Funding Year has started, then the March bill should include a $900 credit for July through March (i.e., nine months of support)
When and Where to Send Invoices
You may submit online invoices to USAC on a rolling basis. The first invoice may be cumulative (beginning with the start date of approved funding up to the previous month), but you may not invoice for future months.
NEW for FY2020: Telecom Program Invoice Deadline
Effective FY2020, the invoicing deadline will be four months (120 days) from the service delivery deadline or the date of a revised FCL approving a post-commitment request or a successful appeal of a previously denied or reduced funding request, whichever comes later. The service delivery deadline is June 30 of the funding year for which program support is sought. HCPs must submit their FCC Form 467 to initiate the invoicing process and service providers must submit their online invoice to USAC by October 28, 2021 or funds will not be disbursed.
On April 8, 2021, the FCC released Order DA 21-394, which extends FY2020 invoicing deadline by 120 days for all RHC program applicants. Read more about the administrative waivers granted by this order.
The material on these web pages is provided for general information only and should not be relied upon or used as the sole basis for making decisions without consulting the RHC program rules, orders, and other primary sources of information. Applicants and service providers are ultimately responsible for knowing and complying with all RHC program rules and procedures.