There may be an instance when a correction to an FCC Form 498 is needed. There are three main categories of such instances.
Corrective Change Categories
Category #1: Data Entry Errors
If a service provider or 498 ID is incorrectly listed on a Funding Commitment Letter (FCL), the correction requires written request and verification. This includes situations where the right company was named, but the wrong 498 ID associated with that company was indicated. If the original Funding Request Number (FRN) was denied, a 498 ID correction cannot be made. Instead, denials must be addressed through the appeals process.
Category #2: Mergers and Acquisitions
If a service provider’s 498 ID has changed due to the merger of companies or the acquisition of one company by another, written request and verification is required for a change to be made. Generally, the service provider will do this by requesting a global 498 ID change. Questions regarding global 498 ID changes should be directed to Customer Operations at (888) 641-8722.
Category #3: Other Instances
Other instances include when the service provider listed on FCC Form 466 was changed and the applicant did not initiate the change (such as a bankruptcy).
Corrections Before Commitment
Corrective changes can be made while your FCC Form 466 is under review, or after a funding commitment has been made. However, changes to a 498 ID are much more onerous once a commitment has been made, and we encourage you to carefully review your forms for accuracy prior to submission.
A written request for a corrective change must include the following information:
- The affected HCP number and name (as submitted on the FCC Form 465),
- If the HCP filed multiple FCC Forms 466, include the eight digit FRN number in the request,
- A brief explanation for the change request,
- Contact information for the person requesting the change, and
- Certification as noted below.
Corrections After Commitment
After funds have been committed, corrective change requests must be made in writing and must include the following information:
- HCP name,
- HCP number,
- HCP contact name,
- HCP contact phone number,
- HCP contact email address,
- Funding year,
- Funding Request Number (FRN),
- Original 498 ID (on FCL),
- Original service provider name (on FCL),
- Original service provider contact name,
- Original service provider phone number,
- Original service provider email,
- Original billing account number,
- New 498 ID,
- New service provider name,
- New service provider contact name,
- New service provider phone number,
- New service provider email,
- New billing account number,
- A brief explanation of the circumstances requiring the change, and
- Effective date of the 498 ID change.
In both instances, pre-commitment or post-commitment, include the following certification: “I certify that (1) all 498 ID changes requested in this letter are allowed under all applicable state and local procurement rules, (2) the 498 ID changes are allowable under the terms of the contract, if any, between the applicant and its original service provider, and (3) the applicant has notified its original service provider of its intent to change service providers.”
In cases where the original provider is no longer in business, you may use the following certification: “I certify that (1) all 498 ID changes requested in this letter are allowed under all applicable state and local procurement rules, (2) the 498 ID changes are allowable under the terms of the contract, if any, between the applicant and its original service provider, and (3) the applicant attempted to notify its original service provider of its intent to change service providers but could not because the service provider is not available for contact.”
Submit to USAC
The subject line of the email should include the words “Corrective 498 ID Change HCP # ______.”
Mail or express delivery service:
The letter should include: “Corrective 498 ID Change for HCP # ______,” and should be sent to:
Universal Service Administrative Co.
Attn: Rural Health Care Program
700 12th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
For any other 498 ID changes not noted above, contact the RHC Help Desk at (800) 453-1546.