Schools and Libraries (E-Rate)

FY2018 Application Filing Window Is Now Closed*
*window closed on March 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM EDT

Before You're done

Updated July 2016


There are a number of actions that may be desired or required outside of the regular application process. The list below provides information on these actions. Some actions must be initiated by the applicant.


  • To submit corrections to an FCC Form 471, applicants must follow the instructions in the FCC Form 471 Receipt Acknowledgment Letter (RAL) which USAC posts to an organization's News Feed in EPC. However, if you notice incorrect information in the service provider RAL, you should notify the applicant so corrections can be made.
  • To change contact, remittance, and/or payment information in the USAC database, you must file an update to your FCC Form 498. We encourage you to file updates online using the E-File system.
  • If program rules have been violated, USAC may be required to reduce the amount of a funding request – known as a commitment adjustment or COMAD – which may include the recovery of improperly disbursed funds (RIDF). If funds have been disbursed in error, you must return those funds to USAC.


  • To change the Service Start Date or contract expiration date on a funding request, the applicant can file an FCC Form 500 (Funding Commitment Adjustment Request Form). If a contract must be extended to allow for the delivery and installation of non-recurring services, (1) the applicant must negotiate a contract extension with you, (2) the applicant must submit a service delivery extension request on or before the deadline (see below), and then (3) the applicant can file an FCC Form 500 to report the extended contract expiration date. USAC issues an FCC Form 500 Notification Letter after processing this form.
  • Changing the Service Provider Identification Number (SPIN) on a funding request. This number is also known as the service provider's 498 ID.
  • To substitute a product or service for another that provides the same or similar function, you or the applicant can request a service substitution. You will initiate the request if you are no longer offering a product or service but are offering a replacement in its stead - what is referred to as a "global" service substitution.
  • If one or more schools or libraries are opening, closing, merging, or separating, the applicant should contact USAC to provide the information specific to the situation. The resolution of the change may affect the associated funding commitments.

Deadline Extensions

To extend the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services, you or the applicant can request a service delivery extension. Generally the deadline for delivery and installation of non-recurring services is September 30 following the close of the funding year, and under some circumstances this deadline is extended automatically. If you do not receive an automatic extension, the service delivery extension requested by the applicant on the FCC Form 500 must be received or postmarked on or before the deadline for service delivery.

You or the applicant can request an invoice deadline extension to extend the deadline for submitting invoices.


If you disagree with a USAC decision, you or the applicant can file an appeal with USAC.

If an invoice has been rejected or payment has been reduced because you made an error, you can simply submit a new invoice.

If a school or library facility is temporarily or permanently closing, applicants can transfer equipment from that facility to another eligible entity. If it has been less than three years since the equipment was purchased, the applicant must notify USAC of the transfer. Applicants notify USAC by filing an FCC Form 500.

Applicants can dispose of or trade-in obsolete equipment but no sooner than five years after the date the equipment was installed. The applicant is not required to notify USAC, but its inventory or asset register should be updated.