COVID-19 Update: USAC remains open for business—Washington, DC office closed. Learn more about USF program responses.

How to Prove Participation

If a consumer participates in one of the following government programs, their household qualifies for the EBB Program:

  • Lifeline, having qualified through participation in one of the following programs:
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    • Medicaid
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
    • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension
  • Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
  • Free and Reduced Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program in the 2019-20 or 2020-21 school year, including at US Department of Agriculture Community Eligibility Provision schools
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
  • Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the relevant income qualifying standard)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations

To prove participation in one of the above programs, consumers must submit a document that, at a minimum, includes:

  • The consumer’s name, or the name of their benefit qualifying person (BQP);
  • The name of the qualifying program, such as SNAP;
  • The government, Tribal entity, program administrator, school, school district, university, or college that issued the document; and
  • An issue date within the last 12 months or a future expiration date that aligns with the benefit period, with the following exceptions:
    • For the Free and Reduced Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, documents can be from either the 2019-2020 or the 2020-2021 school years, and
    • For Federal Pell Grants, documents should be from the current award year and can include screenshots of a National Student Loan Data System or FAFSA dashboard, or a copy of the email sent by the Department of Education about the EBB Program.

Learn more about how to submit these documents, or, if you are a consumer, visit USAC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit consumer website (this site will launch later this spring).