Created November 2016
Cancel and Re-file FCC Form 486
Applicants who have provided incorrect or conflicting information in EPC on their certified FCC Form 486 may want to cancel the form and file a new one. This usually happens because:
- The applicant reported an incorrect service start date or other information related to one or more Funding Request Numbers (FRNs) featured on the form.
- The applicant reported a status of compliance with the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) that is inconsistent with the service type of one or more FRNs featured on the form.
If the CIPA status reported on the FCC Form 486 is inconsistent with the service type of at least one of the FRNs on the form, the form will remain "In Review" until the inconsistency can be resolved. Because USAC is currently unable to successfully process these forms, applicants may wish to cancel and re-file the form and either correct the CIPA status or remove the FRNs that are causing the inconsistency.
As a reminder, CIPA applies to Data Transmission and/or Internet Access in Category One when one of the following is applicable:
- The service includes a connection from the applicant's site directly to the Internet service provider.
- The service does not include a circuit because the data circuit is connected to state or regional network and is billed separately.
- Your Category One services include fiber services, such as leased lit fiber, leased dark fiber and self-provisioned networks.
CIPA applies to all Category Two service types (Internal Connections, Basic Maintenance of Internal Connections, and Managed Internal Broadband Services).
If the FRNs on your FCC Form 486 are for these service types, your CIPA certification should indicate that you are:
- "Working toward compliance" with CIPA if this is your first E-rate funding year and you are not yet in compliance with CIPA.
- You can also select that you are "working toward compliance" if this is your second E-rate funding year and you requested a CIPA waiver on your FCC Form 486 because your state or local procurement rules or requirements prevent you from making the certification.
In all other circumstances, you must indicate that you are compliant with CIPA when you file your FCC Form 486.
To cancel a certified FCC Form 486, you can create a customer service case in the E-rate Productivity Center (EPC) or call the Client Service Bureau (CSB).
To create a customer service case in EPC:
- Log in to EPC.
- Click "Contact Us" from the list of quick links at the top of your landing page.
- Enter a nickname for your request and provide a short description.
- Choose "FCC Form 486" from the Topic menu and "Other" from the Subtopic menu.
- Identify the specific form(s) you want to cancel. You can provide the form number and/or nickname in the narrative, add the form number in the "Form Number" field, or attach a PDF copy of your form.
- Be sure to choose the person best able to answer any questions about your request in the "Case Contact" field.
- Submit your request.
To call CSB:
- Have your FCC Form 486 number and/or nickname handy.
- Call us at (888) 203-8100 and choose the option to speak to a live agent.
- Inform the agent that you want to cancel an FCC Form 486. Be sure that you have provided enough information to allow the agent to clearly identify the form you want to cancel.
- Make a note of the case number the agent creates for your request.
Once we have canceled the form, we will notify you so you can file a new FCC Form 486 featuring the appropriate FRNs from your canceled form.
Please note: If you have previously created a case or called CSB to cancel a form but have been unable to file a new FCC Form 486, follow the above steps and note specifically that your previous request did not allow you to refile an FCC Form 486. If you have the case number from your previous request, include that as well.