Change My Company
Customers may transfer the Lifeline benefit to a new company once every sixty (60) days for telephone service, and once every 12 months for internet service.
Customers may be allowed to transfer their benefit sooner if:
- They move to a new address,
- The company no longer offers Lifeline service, or
- The company charged late fees greater than the customer's monthly out of pocket cost for service.
How to Transfer Your Lifeline Benefit
To transfer your benefit to another company, contact a different company that offers Lifeline and ask them to transfer your Lifeline benefit to them.
The new company will need this information to process the request:
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security number
- Phone number
- Your consent (verbal or written)
- You will be required to give your consent acknowledging that once the transfer is complete, you will lose your benefit with the previous company.
- You will need to acknowledge that the new company has explained that customers may not have more than one Lifeline benefit per household.
In most cases, customers will not experience an interruption in service. There are certain instances when customers may be asked to provide Proof of Identity.